The individual eleven was a fake file that contained a cyberbrain virus. It only affected those who were a virgin before cyberization, Hideo Kuze a rare survivor of the virus had a hidden immunity because his cyberization came before he lost his virginity. Kusanagi would also have that immunity.
The Individual Eleven's motive for terror is an essay also entitled "The Individual Eleven", which is, in reality, a fake essay implanted with a Computer virus that infects all who read it. It even infected Borma of Section 9, although he showed no further signs of symptoms as a result. The virus remains dormant up until the user downloads all of the other ten essays by Patrick Sylvestre (a political theorist), when it programs the person infected by it to commit suicide. However, it seems the virus itself does not cause the members of the Individual Eleven to commit the acts of terror, it is their own political views which cause them to do so. The virus only seems to be there to make them, perhaps, unwilling martyrs, as all the members of the primary Individual Eleven (except Kuze) kill each other with swords in a televised mass suicide. Although these eleven were apparently the primary members, it is likely that other people, such as the refugees that committed suicide bombings, could be considered as a part of the Individual Eleven because they were also infected with the virus.
The eleventh essay supposedly refers to the events surrounding the May 15th Incident, which was one of several incidents that led to the rise of Japanese militarism.
It should be noted that the virus only affects those who possess cyberbrains, and, in addition, it is suggested by Kazundo Gouda that the virus affects only those individuals who were virgins prior to undergoing full cyberization.
Many people and groups claim to be members of "The Individual 11", but a core group appear in "To Those Without Even a Name... – SELECON". Despite their name, the group consists of 11 Members, who perform a mass act of public murder/suicide. Aside from Hideo Kuze, none of these men have spoken names, and can only be referred to by their distinguishing features and their contibutions to the ideology of the Individual 11.
- Hideo Kuze: The only member to survive the suicide. He is also the only member of the group to dress all in White, in contrast to all other members who wear predominantly black. He made an attempt on Prime Minister Kayabuki's life
- Man with Left Eye Prosthetic: He was the first member to arrive, and stabbed an assemblyman to death for the cause
- Man with Right Eye Prosthetic:His contribution is unknown, though possibly worked with the man with a left eye prostethic.
- Saber wielding Man: He worked with another member and bombed the "Return the Refugee" organization building
- Man with small Mustache: Assasinated an unknown man.
- Young Man: He wielded a sword that was all white, and bombed an organization that gave free prosthetic bodies to refugees
- Driver: This man drove the van which carried the members from the war dead memorial in Kagoshima to the Kyushu radio tower. His contribution to the "cause" is unknown.
- Man with Forehead access port: He was the second to arrive at the War Dead Memorial. He worked with other members and hacked the JNN TV accounting network, causing them to appear to be misappropriating refugee funds.
- Man with Chin access port: He worked with the Man with the forehead access port.
- Man with Sunglasses: Was allied with the Man wielding a saber
- Man with black hair and brown Scabbard: Killed a popular cyber rapper and he leaked information that the refugees would attack the transportation of the fuel rods from the hidden nuclear power plant.
- Bald Man: Assasinated Ichiro Jima, the head of a net bank and former refugee
Of these 11 members, only Hideo Kuze survived their mass suicide.
The Individual Eleven logo was designed by TERRATAG - There are three characters. From top to bottom, they stand for three different numbers (9, 10 and 11). At the same time, they all have another meaning as Kanji:
- Enemy (rival): or someone who to be avenged
- Samurai: or individual professionals
Nine also stands for the Section 9 and 11 stands for "The Individual Eleven (terrorist group that feature in the story). The logo was used as the mysterious mark of the terrorists in much the same way as a traditional Japanese family mark (kamon) or a samurai logo on their flag.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "To Those Without Even a Name... – SELECON". Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Animax. 2004-06-05. No. 14, season 2.
- ↑ GITS Mythology. Retrieved on September 5, 2008.
- ↑ "Abandoned City – REVERSAL PROCESS". Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Animax. 2004-11-06. No. 22, season 2.